Saturday, October 2, 2010

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney insists: 'I'm only human'

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney insists: 'I'm only human'Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has said he is confident he will regain his form soon, after a troubled start to the season. Rooney's campaign has been dogged by allegations about his private life and a barren run in front of goal, which has seen him yet to score from open play this season.

And Rooney says that his off-field distractions have hit him hard. He told Sky Sports: "I'm only a human being. "I hurt as well, but I need to get through this and get back to playing football the way I can do.”Rooney's poor form goes back to the World Cup in South Africa, where Rooney and England under-performed hugely.


He said: "It was a poor World Cup, I didn't reach the form I would have liked to. "You try and forget it and move on but obviously it's difficult. Going to the biggest tournament in the world you want to express yourself and we didn't do that, I didn't do that.

"We prepared well as a team but once we got on the pitch it didn't click.

"I was in the right state of mind. I just can't see why I didn't perform, and it still puzzles me to this day why I didn't perform to even half the performance levels I know I can do."

Rooney is out of Manchester United's game with Sunderland on Saturday with an ankle injury, but expected to line up for England against Montenegro on October 12.

And the forward, who hit 34 goals last season, is confident his performances will improve the more playing time he gets.

"I know I can play better, so I'm hoping to get a consistent run of games in the team.

"If I do that, I'm sure my form will be back to its best. When you're not playing at your best, you need to just continue playing and doing the simple things, then your form will come good."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 Manchester United